s India big enough for man and man-eater



Waiting for India's leaping monkeys

Waiting for India's leaping monkeys 



(CNN)"The Law of the Jungle, which never orders anything without a reason, forbids every beast to eat Man."
I still remember the first time I read the passage from "The Jungle Book," heart racing beneath my pajamas covered with The Six Million Dollar Man. 
"The real reason for this is that man-killing means, sooner or later, the arrival of white men on elephants, with guns, and hundreds of brown men with gongs, rockets and torches. Then everybody in the jungle suffers," Rudyard Kipling wrote.
I probably understood that tiger attacks were fairly rare in Milwaukee, but to my 11-year-old brain, Kipling was dropping wisdom that just might keep me alive on the next expedition into the weedy lot behind Piggly Wiggly.

Culled from:www.cnn.com